Skip to main content

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Sometimes a story takes you by the hand, makes you sit down with it and surrounds you with its warmth and wonder. It feels like a warm quilt that you don't want to get out of on a cold winter morning.

That is how I feel reading A tree grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Has anyone else read this book? I am only at the beginning of it, but I love it already.

Comments

amrisha said…
how yow get time to read books i hardly get time to do so .the poem is really very lovely
bindu said…
That's such a nice way to think about a favourite book! You have a way with words. I haven't read this one. My list is growing ...
Sylvia K said…
I, too, love the way you think about a book! I feel the same way. I read this years ago and loved it, but now I'm thinking I need to read it again, it's a bit blurry in my 75 year old brain. I'm making a trip to the library later today. And you do, indeed, have a lovely way with words!
pink dogwood said…
Hey Amrisha - is that really you?

Bindu - Thanks, do check it out - I loved the first few chapters.

Sylvia - thanks, I do fall in love with books and am sad when they end sometimes :) And yes, books do get blurry after a while in our head and the best part it we read them and enjoy them all over again :)
Maithri said…
It takes you by the hand...

Wow what a beautiful description...

I love books and book stores ;) will keep an eye out for it,

With love to you and yours my friend this season, M
You are reading can evoke such strong emotions sometimes. Well and it is cold in Delhi and the quilt is the place to be!

I am reading Big Bang by simon singh and that book transports me to other galaxies. Beautifully written book.
GEM said…
Haven't read "A Tree" yet, but I have read most of your favorite book list. A classic I enjoyed was "Typee" was Herman Melville's first book.

Gem
Lori ann said…
I've not read this either, but I will keep an eye out for it now...I love book recommendations!
xx lori
pink dogwood said…
Maithri - thanks, happy holidays to you as well.

LVS: thanks I will check out the book that you recommended.

GEM: thanks - I will add Typee to my to read list :)

Lori ann : thanks :)
Bobkat said…
No, I haven't come across this one but I'm intrigued :)
Anil P said…
I agree with how a story can take one by the hand. I felt the same reading 'Charles Kuralt's America'.
aMus said…
I love the way you wrote this...so much so i've added this book to my list...

and tagged you..take your time


wish you a great year ahead :))
megha puNAter" said…
sounds good,will get my hands on it.thanks :)
pink dogwood said…
Bob-kat: yes - give it a try and see if you like it.

Anil: thanks for the recommendation - will add it to my 'to read' list.

Suma : thanks - will check out the tag :)

Megha : welcome back - missed you
yellowmonkey3 said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
yellowmonkey3 said…
Hey mom,
Although I havent read many books I can say that I agree with you.A book sometime makes me feel like I'm in the story and I am to involved in the book to go about and enjoy what life has to offer. I am working on that. It is very dificult. I probably won't read that book well because I don't have the same tastes as you in books. I'm only eleven. You like non-fiction sorts of things and i love fantasy.
pink dogwood said…
Hey Meghana : I agree our taste is different - I never could join the harry potter craze - I tried - I read the first two. But I think we have some similarities - we both love the 'Little House on the Prairie' series and we both loved wednesday wars. when you were little we both loved anything by Eric Carle. I am sure there are other similarities if we explored them - love you beta :)

mom
Shelly said…
Merry Christmas! Stopping by to say hey there...and hmm...you said you want a white Christmas? I think I'd like to share some of my snow with you ;)
Deb said…
Now I know why I get along with you so well - this is one of my favorite books. It is the type of book that you don't want to put down and you won't want it to end. I enjoyed visiting and I appreciate your kind words. Take care.
Kay said…
This is one of my favorite books, too! Glad you like it.

Kay

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...