Skip to main content

Happy Holiday All

I am a cheerful-happy-glass-half-full person - or so I tell myself. "It is not what happens to you, it is your reaction to what happened which matters" I know all that - as a matter of fact I often preach that.

Let me recount what happened today.

I left work around 2:30 - I had one last gift to buy. I went to a shopping plaza where just getting into the parking lot took forever. I started to get irritated. Why am I doing this? Why did we start celebrating Christmas? I am a Hindu for crying out loud - I don't need to be part of this madness that Christmas has become. If I was going to adopt Christmas, why couldn't I adopt the non-commercial aspect of it?

Well, I make it into the store after finding the last ever parking spot way at the end. I roam around and it is a madhouse in there as well. Apparently there are many others who have a few last thing left to do. After wandering around for a while, I finally find a perfect thing. I am happy. The line at the cash register wasn't bad. I come out and the sun peaks out of the clouds for just one brief moment to smile at me. It is warm compared to the past sub zero days. Life is looking good. It is Christmas Eve. I decide I like Christmas after all.

It takes forever to get out of the parking lot again - but whatever. I hum along the Christmas songs on the radio. I go to mom's house to pick up my daughters. I come home, bring shopping bags in and proceed to show my husband the perfect thing I found when I notice - to my horror - that the perfect thing that I had found is not in the shopping bag. I am livid - I hate this holiday.

I call the store and customer service tells me that yes they have my item and I can pick it up whenever I want. That's not enough, I want sympathy - didn't I just spend forever in traffic to get to and from the stupid store. I tell them I am coming now. They say that they are closing in 45 minutes. I tell them that they better not close until I get there. They tell me that they are sorry, but they will close promptly at 6. I tell them if they close before I get there, I will be extremely upset.

I make it to the store with 14 minutes to spare. I stand in line at the customer service counter. The girl working there must be the girl that I spoke with - she looks very tired. I feel bad about our earlier conversation.

After waiting in line for 10 minutes my turn comes. She gives me my item without a smile, she wishes me obligatory 'Happy Holidays' and I leave after muttering something.

As I walk out the store to the car, I pass a cake shop that has many lighted miniature houses in the window - sort of like a miniature Christmas village. It is beautiful. I feel happy looking at it.

As I drive home I think about my reaction to what happened - whatever happened to the cheerful spirit that I believe I posses? It wasn't the fault of that girl at customer service who answered the phone. I can't really be too mad at the cashier who forgot to bag my item - she probably has been working non-stop since that morning.

In retrospect, I was amazed at my reaction. What happened to my cheery self? Exactly when did I turn into a grouch?

I guess everyone is entitled to few bad moments, right?

Happy Holidays All - may you be patient with people around you :)

Comments

Sylvia K said…
Ah, my friend, I do so understand where you are coming from! I was so excited about the holiday and having my oldest son here and then the snow came, the airport shut down, he couldn't get rescheduled, so no visit. Then I found the surprise -- my daughter from CA was to come -- her flight was cancelled, couldn't reschedule, no visit. So, thank goodness I have my youngest here and the other two are coming for Mother's Day, but still, this is Christmas and Mother's Day is five months away! Grumpy, grumpy am I, but I'm grateful for all I have -- which is a lot and I'll be smiling tomorrow! Have a beautiful holiday!
Samosas for One said…
Man after the last few days shopping I was thinking...Do American people not give anyone in their lives any gifts throughout the year?...everyone is out and about scurrying from here to there to buy gifts while they complain about the cost of living or worrying about holding onto their jobs or the decline in their 401Ks. You would think the only way they can show their appreciation for another person is by giving them a present.

I love being desi...since desis are very hospitable and generous people and usually it doesn't involve gifts.
Jagriti said…
i guess it happens with even the most patient and cheerful person at some moments...
especially on occasions like festivals, birthdays, holidays, etc, when our expectation of making everthing go perfect goes even a little haywire, we at times over react...
so its ok...the best part is ur day ended well..! wish u had posted a pic of that miniature christmas village...it sounds so fairyland like...would hv loved to see it...! Best wishes for the festive season...!
Anonymous said…
i am known as the lady who gives gifts through out the year, except this time of the season. And this image has kept me sane when i window shop.
Bobkat said…
Stress gets to us all sometimes no matter how cheerful our nature. I'm guessing it was getting to those shop assistants too.

I hope you enjoyed your celebration in the end (no matter what you are celebrating). Happy holidays!
pink dogwood said…
Thanks all. We had a great christmas. The whole fmaily came over and we really enjoyed each others company. All my frustrations from previous day were a distant memory. I guess it was poor planning on my part that led to those frustrations. Next year I am going to get done a lot sooner.
Deb said…
It can be difficult to keep everything in perspective and easy to get caught up in the negative feelings. Don't be so hard on yourself - you are human. You have a strong understanding of what is important in life. Enjoy your day.
It happens to the best of us. Next time if you happen to go to the same store, maybe a cheerful good morning or whatever to the girl will make her (and you) feel good :)

Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
Lori ann said…
What a lovely honest post of what it is to be human...you sound like a sweet compassionate person to go to the lengths that you did to make someone happy. When this happens to me, I remember that i once saw even the Dalai Lama get mad...and then he laughed!
A Belated Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year to you too!
xx Lori
pink dogwood said…
thanks Deb

IHM: will try :)

Lori Ann: Even Dalai Lama!!! - now I don't feel so bad :)
megha puNAter" said…
bhavana,we all go through this.as long as you could see it.but this time of the year is a taxing time,big lines everywhere,so many things to be done.
am glad you had a good christmas,wishing you a grand new year.
Anita said…
Happy New Year Bhavana...it is all in the past!
Check the updated post - a quiz that you have to host now!
Kay said…
I could written this post... We think so much alike.

This year I decided to have a smallish Christmas celebration at home.. part of my childhood wish to celebrate every major celebration from all religions and cultures.. and yes, I forgot the smallest but most important item at the counter.. Surprisingly I wasn't billed for it and it got quite late when I went looking for it that I realized this.. And yes, to all those tired faces at the store wishing a customary 'Happy Holidays!'.
pink dogwood said…
Megha - wish you a great year as well.

Anita - thanks - couldn't find the quiz.

Kay - nice to meet you :)

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...