Skip to main content

Amma

My grandmother has been gone for 8 years now - I miss her so much at times.

We were like the best of friends - the years between us used to melt away as we would sit and talk about our common points of interests. Both of us shared the joy of growing our own vegetables. I remember the look of absolute pride on her face as she would announce the first zucchini that she had spotted. Yesterday, I saw this little swollen bud on my indoor lemon plant that potentially could be the first lemon ever that I might harvest - the first thought that came to my mind was - Amma would be so happy to see this.

She used to sit amongst her vegetable plants and there was almost some unknown bond between them. My grandfather used to joke how she would know if you so much as broke a leaf off of one of her tomato plants. If I would ask him where Amma was, he would say "must be outside counting the leaves of her plants".

I remember how one time we wanted to remove this plum tree so that we could extend out the patio - she told us that it was a sin to uproot a flowering tree. She had tremendous compassion for any thing living.

She loved to talk. I loved listening to her. I had listened to each of her stories a hundred times, and I never tired of them.

She was a big advocate of doing with less and not wasting. Now as I try to simplify my life and reduce my resource consumption I often think that I all I have to do it learn to live like Amma.

Lately I have noticed that my mom is reminding me a lot of her. Her body language, the phrases she used - I often catch myself thinking that she sounds so much like Amma. Two days ago I even told her "mom, you sound just like Amma" - mom said "of course I do, because you have started to sound just like me :)" Also, I notice the same kind of bond between my mom and my daughters - especially when they conspire against the evil mother (me) who would not let them sneak a bowl of ice cream before dinner.

Amazing how this circle of life perpetuates.

Comments

Dianne said…
what a beautiful post and tribute to "Amma" and to the circle of generations.

My "Nana" passed many, many years ago but not a day goes by without a thought of her making me feel stronger, making me smile. A whiff of her favorite perfume (I keep a bottle) makes me feel hugged. She loved to hug people til it hurt.
Sue said…
I was so lucky to have two wonderful grandmothers like you describe, and I miss them both so much!!! It is kinda funny, though, because my mom and I compare our hands... we have the wrong hands, now. She has Gram's, I have hers. I am so sorry not to have daughters.

On another topic... the book you referred to, my favorite book... (I love so many!)... Did you mean the Alchemist?

Have a good day!
pink dogwood said…
Thanks Dianne - my mom recently gave me this little box that my grandmother had, I opened it and it smelled like her - I have been missing her too much ever since. Thanks for stopping by.

Sue - I cannot believe this - how did you ever know that I just finished reading Alchemist yesterday - one of my all time favorite book - so much wisdom there. Have a great day yourself :)
I noticed the cyclical events starting to occur last time I was home : ) But do you think I'm becoming like Dad ?
Preeti Shenoy said…
This post reminded me so much of my grand mom--Years after she passed away I used to dream of her.I still do.And i'd wake up feeling she has been right there beside me.
My mom does not resemble her AT ALL.She takes after her dad.
And me--I don't resemble my mom at all! I too take after my dad!
But it is amazing how the circle of life goes on and on and on.
Preeti Shenoy said…
@Sue: Alchemist remains one of my all time favs too.
pink dogwood said…
sg: you are so much like dad that it is not even funny :) But it is all good.

ps: I also look like my dad (facial features wise), but overall I am becoming like my mom - I get the best of both I guess :)
Shelly said…
Such a beautiful post about generations of love.
I traveled to Japan with my Gram when I was 22 and she was 73, it was the trip of a lifetime that I really couldn't afford... but it created a forever bond between us.
Punam said…
Having loving grandparents is really a gift.
I liked your post, esp the last statement about the circle of life. It's true.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...